dispatches from the world's smallest, sweetest kitchen

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Forget Me Not



Inspired by the Springsteen cookie project, I tackled another royal icing technique I hadn't done before, and made icing petals that I attached to an already iced cookie, for a 3D effect.  I used Sugar Belle's sugar cookie recipe again, and while the cookies baked, I got the icing ready. I was making forget-me-nots, which are typically purple or blue.  I cut up little pieces of parchment paper and attached them to a flower nail with a dab of icing, which allowed me to rotate the work surface while building the flowers.  GENIUS (not my own, but still...).






 After a few blobby disasters (uh....not pictured), I got the hang of things and made 120 of these little guys in about an hour.



While the flowers dried, I iced the cookies to get a nice, smooth palate.  I realized how much I like the ivory gel-based food colouring from Americolor when doing some of my holiday baking this year, so I tinted the base colour ivory instead of white.  PRETTY.



When the base coat dried I attached the flowers with another dab of royal icing.  EASY!





This cookie project was more than figuring out new ways to play with sugar. The symbol of the Alzheimer Society of Canada is three forget-me-not flowers, representing the person with the disease, caregivers, and society:

At the end of this month I am participating in the Alzheimer Society's fundraiser, Walk for Memories.  If you are interested in sponsoring me, you can do so here.  And if you live in Ottawa, I will give you one of these cookies. It's win-win.

0 comments:

Post a Comment