dispatches from the world's smallest, sweetest kitchen

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Powerpuff Girl







Is it a pancake, a muffin top, a tinbit?  No, it's an ebleskiver, and it's awesomeEbleskivers are traditional Danish pancake puffs, often filled with a jam or chocolate or caramel. You can also make savory elbeskivers, but where is fun in that?


I bought Nordic Ware's Ebleskiver pan and this book of recipes after seeing them featured on a few other blogs. 

 The pan has round divets for making seven little ebleskivers, and though you can't filp them like pancakes, you do need to rotate them so they are cooked on both sides.  Because I don't have the official Eblskiver turning tools, I had to improvise with these drink swizzle sticks.

What's really nice about ebleskivers is the texture - because you beat the egg whites until they are foamy, and then gently fold that into the batter, the little puffs have a nice, light, fluffy feel.  They are almost like balls of crepe.  And, because they are cooked on both sides, they also are a bit like the best part of a muffin - crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle.  

My friends J & E were visiting from Toronto and I wanted to make some chocolate chip ebleskivers for them.  It was the second time making them, and I learned a few lessons the first time.  I had the element way too hot, and some of them had burned, so this time I set the element to medium-low.  However, I am still working on this thing called "patience" because I totally tried to flip the pancakes before they were exactly ready:

But they were still delicious.  Next time: caramel ones.

0 comments:

Post a Comment