dispatches from the world's smallest, sweetest kitchen

Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Bundt-y Hunter: Episode One

This winter I became obsessed with the Chrysanthemum Bundt pan by Nordic Ware.  It ceased production a few years ago, and no one in Canada was selling it.  I found a few American retailers who claimed they were selling it, and my sweet friend Meridith tried ordering it for me, but every time, the answer was the same - they didn't actually have it in stock and hadn't bothered to find out that Nordic Ware wasn't actually selling it any more.

I tried Ebay, but as much as I wanted the pan, I wasn't willing to pay what others were, and I kept getting outbid.  Eventually I found a knock-off silicone version and ordered it.  But I knew, in my heart of hearts, that it wasn't the same - not even in the same ballpark. 

I returned to Google, using every technique I could think of. And eventually I found a kitchen supply store in the South of England that had a website claiming to sell the Chrysanthemum cake pan.  I sent an email to confirm if it was actually available and then went to bed.  By the time I got up the next morning, I had 2 emails from Marsha at the store, letting me know they didn't have the pan in the store but that she was contacting Nordic Ware UK to confirm availability....and then a forward from Nordic Ware UK, which made it clear to me that the situation was URGENT:
  • The Chrysanthemum pan is on the leaflet at the moment and at current sales levels we have about 6 months stock (240).  However after this stock is sold we will not be manufacturing any for the foreseeable future. Nordic Ware say they are 'resting' the design. 
 Two weeks later I received an update from Marsha, accompanied by a refund for the difference in the cost of shipping I was charged and what it actually cost.  It's like Marsha was a Fairy Cakemother:

Hi Rachel, IT'S HERE!!!!!   
The pans have just arrived.  I have taken out the beautiful Chrysanthemum and it is being packed for today's Royal Mail collection for Airmail to you.

This week both of the cake pans (original and knock-off) arrived.  And it was clear which was nicer, but it seemed like the only way to identify the best pan was through a cake-off.  I think the photos speak for themselves.

Knock-off


Original, sporting a Raspberry Chocolate Bundt cake recipe from Baking Bites.

  
On the next episode of Bundt-y Hunter, we are hot on the trail of the Bavaria pan.... 

4 comments:

  1. This comparison is hilarious- also, I see you have an appropriate display stand for your creations; this is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nordic Ware has (had?) one that's an octopus. I want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Robyn

    how much money do you want to spend? http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nordic-Ware-Aluminum-Octopus-Bundt-Cake-Pan-NWT-35-/180648943090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0f841df2

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Meridith

    well, i may have given the nordic ware one an unfair advantage, but it's nice to feel justified in the time/money investment....

    ReplyDelete